Wednesday, September 1, 2010

music sub cult

Unsubcultured music-love history.

I listen to rock, alternative, pop, electronica, a bit of hiphop/rnb, some reggae and ska and a bit of jazz. Relatively a wide selection. But that wasn't the case when I was growing up. Here's what went down over the "decades."


Grade school years: Lived in Baguio. I hung out with my long-haired, refugee from the hippie movement brothers. Boy, did they listened to a lot of jazz... George Benson, Herbie Hancock, The Crusaders, Chuck Mangione, Spyro Gyra, Al Jarreau, Astrud Gilberto, Manhattan Transfer, Michael Franks, Seawind, Ronnie Laws, Stanley Clarke, George Duke and a whole lot more. So because I looked up to my bros, I was into their music too. [Fast forward to workplace setting: found out I had many officemates who grew up just like me, listening to their brother's jazz albums].


High school years: Lived in Manila. Stepped out of my brothers' shadows and stepped into that of my high school friends'. Dropped the jazz thing and listened to what my friends were into: 99.5 pop music and of course, the music of that generation - new wave [the 80s answer to emo]. I listened to dark, brooding shit from Brit artists and of course, you sort of get influenced by their angstiness too.


College years: New wave wouldn't leave my ears but at least it changed it's name to "alternative." If I remember everything correctly, I was just exclusively listening to alt rock. I guess my mind wasn't yet open to the great world of sound at the time.


Early working years: Finally opened my world to the possibilities of other genres. Aside from alternative, I listened to pop [Rick Astley hahaha], dance/hiphop [Bobby Brown, Snap], funk powered rock [Red Hot Chili Peppers], glam metal and acid jazz. This was also the time whenPinoy alternative rock and pop really kicked ass.


The MP3/Ipod years: Thanks to downloading and ripping, I have almost all the music I want. New wave, pop, alternative, jazz, a bit of hiphop... they're all neighbors inside my Ipod. Thanks to other music loving individuals [and also because of the movies], I also get to appreciate the awesome music of artists that existed before I was born... like for example The Beatles. Plus this... growing up, I never really listened to rock. But now, bands and artists like Rush, Hendrix, Blind Faith and Yes are a regular part of my playlist.

So that's it... as I grew older, my world of beats got bigger too. I can now listen to almost anything... except blues, world music, country, trance, house and Celine Dion.

No comments:

Post a Comment