Friday, July 22, 2011

reggae + ska sub cult

Whenever a reggae/ska band plays here in this country, they usually play this song...

"SANTERIA" by the band Sublime

I don't practice Santeria
I ain't got no crystal ball
Well I had a million dollars but I
I'd spend it all...

When this gets sung, the place gets noisier and the crowd lets loose a bit more. It might as well be the utimate reggae/ska anthem in this country.

But do these raggaska worshippers really know what SANTERIA means?

According to Wikipedia:

SanterĂ­a
is a syncretic religion of West African and Caribbean origin, also known as Regla de Ocha, La Regla Lucumi, or Lukumi.[1][2] Its liturgical language, a dialect of Yoruba, is also known as Lucumi.

NOW YOU KNOW. BETTER THIS THAN BEING A CLUELESS POSER RIGHT?

No comments:

Post a Comment