Monday, April 5, 2010

revenge + hollywood + roman style entertainment sub cult

One of my favorite movie scenes [from Gladiator]


Commodus
: Rise. Rise.
[Maximus stands up, clenching an arrow head in his right hand]
Commodus: Your fame is well deserved, Spaniard. I don't think there's ever been a gladiator to match you. As for this young man, he insists you are Hector reborn. Or was it Hercules? Why doesn't the hero reveal himself and tell us all your real name? You do have a name.
Maximus: My name is Gladiator.[turns away from Commodus]
Commodus: How dare you show your back to me! Slave, you will remove your helmet and tell me your name.



Maximus: [removes helmet and turns around to face Commodus]
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,
commander of the Armies of the North,
General of the Felix Legions,
loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius.
Father to a murdered son,
husband to a murdered wife.
And I will have my vengeance,
in this life or the next.
[Commodus trembles in disbelief]

No comments:

Post a Comment